Time to Rethink It All--All the communication technology, that is

This morning I attended a local authors' event in Dalton, GA. It was well run and I actually sold 16 books.  That's amazing for me.

Equally good, I saw a former student there and we had a good talk, catching up.  We invariably got onto technology--especially social media.

I had an infuriating experience with Twitter this week and have not looked at my notifications for a few days.  I will probably post to hawk my books, but I'm not going to get any more connections or follows.  Enough.  Facebook only for notifications, birthdays,  and congratulations.

After this week's news of the data mining scandal at Facebook, I don't want Zuckerberg to get any more of my information or money.

My student and I said we both hoped social media would diminish to the point of irrelevance.

Then I come across this article on smartphones' mere presence affecting our  cognitive ability.

So the question is, do I want a better quality of life, spiritually, intellectually, relationally, and physically, and are social media and my smartphone likely to help me get there?

What do you think?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?