Purdue Graduation 2018, Graduate School Edition

Yesterday my husband and I attended our son's graduation from Purdue with his master of science degree in communication.  It was a fabulous ceremony. 

It was fabulous because the gentleman who read the names never missed a beat despite names that would have been an enigma to the rest of others. Why?

Because I would say 75% or more of the names were Asian--Indian, Chinese, and Korean, and some from other nations in Asian.  My son's name is very American and fairly common, so it stood out for that. 

Mitch Daniels, who should be President of the US instead of President of Purdue, gave an incredible speech which was a love letter and warning to his party.  It was on tribalism and its dangers and how the graduates should fight it.  I wanted to scream amen.  He also emphasized that Purdue graduates create wealth (not money for themselves) and solve big problems.  I like that practicality instead of "serve and give back."  Give back is such a cliche. 

We did yell "Dude" when our son graduated.  He has worked hard to get his degree, as would anyone. 

The music was also wonderful, and they have a projected screen image behind the platform.  The doctoral part took a while, but having earned one myself and gotten hooded, I will give them their due. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?