Patience and Creativity and Writing

https://www.brainpickings.org/2018/06/22/rilke-patience-solitude-art/

I would add that scholarly work is creative work, and patience, a quality which I lack, is a foundational characteristics for getting to both.  I am coding data today and it is slow work, but I can't make the data say what I want it to. Later I will work on a book and the same is true.

I attended a somewhat fruitless writers fair the other day, but I made some good connections and had good conversations with fellow writers and readers.  That is a matter of patience, too.  In this day of marketing and sales, where a writer is only validated by her Amazon sales ranking, the patience needed to be a good writer is all the more needed.

I realized Saturday that I should start telling people my primary role professionally is as a writer, and that I support that by being a college administration and faculty.  It's a tad pretentious, but I write more than anything I do (emails, assignment critiques, novels, Bible studies, blog posts, journal pieces, faculty evaluation reports) so I really should define myself that way. 

I suggest this be the redefiner for other writers.  You are a writer if you have written and put it out there for public consumption.  It doesn't have to be your primary source of income (which it is for a very small number of people, really).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?