Wondering, Certainty, and Faith

Saw one of my favorite sayings today on a car (one of those tire covers on the back of a jeep):  All who wander are not lost.

This of course comes from The Lord of the Rings.  I love its affirmation that it is fine to explore without a specific goal in mind.

My version is this:  All who wonder are not (spiritually) lost.

The brand of Christianity I was indoctrinated into would disagree.  Faith, to this branch,  must be solid, circumscribed, and submissive.  Wondering about the unexplained is hurtful; "God says it and that settles it," regardless of whether you believe it or not.  The scope of debatable subjects is very small.

I am thankful to have stepped out of that mindset.  Wondering is a "wonderful" act, freeing, stimulating. We must give ourselves permission to wonder and wander. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?