Going (to) Solo

For some reason I really wanted to go to a movie last night, maybe all the rain we've had, so I ran over to see Solo: A Star Wars Story after dinner. I got out in enough time to walk the dog late.

This is the movie people love to hate. I thought it was fun. Too long, perhaps, but creative. I liked the droid who set the other droids and slaves free. I loved "Lando." I think, except for the dark hair, Alden looked enough like Harrison and was cute as all get out. There were lots of fun connections to the first ones (like "I ran the kessel run in 20 parsecs--what the heck does this mean?" we find out). Chewy is great. The colors are dark, but they are supposed to be. We see that he is an outlaw with a heart of gold who really does want to help the oppressed.

So why the hate? As my son says, "It's not as good as the movie they have in their head." But that movie in their head is not nearly as good as they think it is. It's all about nostalgia, really. These psuedo-critics were so blown away and emotionally involved in the early Star Wars movies that they are forgetting that they were not the end all and be all. They have inflated their importance and quality beyond all reason.

Many complain "this was a movie that didn't need to be made." I think we could say that about roughly 75% of films.

Part and parcel with this is the Peter Pan Syndrome, this cultural refusal or at least inability of men to grow up. I thank God for a mature, church-involved, educated, employed, responsible son. I am blessed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?