What kind of love does God have? Not reckless.

I should know better than to even tweet, but I asked the question of what it means when songs say God's love is reckless.  I understand poetry, folks, but poetry in hymns doesn't get to say things about God that aren't true, at least not without being questioned.

Someone sent me a link to a video of a preacher at a church I know, saying the answer was in the sermon.  Then he dm'ed me about it.  Well, I don't need a sermon to convince me of something I know is not true.

God's love is not reckless.  Every reasonable definition or synonym of reckless does not fit (or honor) God to describe  His love. There are lots of other good adjectives; this one just doesn't work. Even my synonym function in Word will give me
  • irresponsible
  • careless
  • wild (this is probably the idea they are getting at, calling up C.S. Lewis' image of Aslan who is good but not safe.  Therefore, use wild or untamed, meaning we have no control over God's love; reckless means God has no control over his love.)
  • rash
  • heedless
  • inattentive
  • hasty 
  • uncontrolled
  • thoughtless
What else do we describe as "reckless?"  Drivers, that's who--drunk drivers, drivers who hurt people, who get cited.

Go to the Scripture and find your descriptors for God's love, please. 

So, rant over.  Even more disturbing about some modern worship songs is the abundant use of "I," "me," and "my," when the focus of God's love is everyone, not just one person, the Almighty I. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?