After Midterm Thoughts

Any reader of this blog, if such people exist, knows that I am not a fan of President Trump. For that reason, I am always, well, surprised and maybe appalled by the depth of support for him. There are true believers out there.

I am also appalled by some of the things that come out of his mouth and am not inclined to justify them.

That said, I'm glad about the Senate, sanguine about the House, ambivalent about the governor's race in my state, mad about the firing of Jeff Sessions (a person of much integrity working for a person of little), and thinking about some other things.

Planned Parenthood did not get defunded. This was a no-brainer, and it didn't happen with the Republicans totally in charge. Conclusion: the party uses abortion to cudgel the pro-lifers into voting for them. Clearly, the Democrats will only fight for more and more abortion; the Republicans can at least say they are against it without doing anything about it.

Second, while white people worry about genetic testing so that they can have error-free children, we will have fewer and fewer children out of fear that we will have a child that is not perfect. The "brown" people will grow in number, and probably should, because they are not afraid to have children who aren't perfect. Being brown doesn't mean a person is ideologically wrong, which seems to be the underlying message of some on the right.

Third, I think Dems like to call us white folks racist as a type of shaming mechanism. If they say it enough, we'll believe we are and be embarrassed and vote D to absolve ourselves. That seems to be their reasoning. I don't think it's working.  Nobody likes being accused of immorality, and racism is a category of immorality. I know my heart, and as a Baptist I get enough guilt poured on me and don't need any more from a political party.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?