Futbol vs. Football

My husband watches "futbol" (soccer) quite a bit. He had on an American football game and then changed the channel. I saw a ball soaring through the air and got confused as to what the receiving player was supposed to be doing with it, catching or kicking.

So I watched the action of the soccer game for a while (Leicester City playing) and got to thinking about how many times the ball goes up and down the field (which is bigger than a football field) before there is a score.

There is an awful lot of activity and energy output before there is a point, is all I'm thinking. Americans expect more bang for their buck. In football, you get six points to take the ball down the field one time; you might have to do it twenty times in soccer to get a point.

What a waste!  Americans value efficiency. Soccer is not very efficient. On the other hand, the plays are beautiful and athletic. (Even the head butts, which look painful, too.)

Do Americans value efficiency over beauty? By looking at our buildings, you might think so, too. I've been to Europe enough time to know that the buildings are beautiful, much more so than needed for functionality.

Those are my sport thoughts for the day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?