The Great Debate: Sweet Potato or Pumpkin Pie

The day after Thanksgiving my husband was watching sports talking heads in the morning. On two occasions a reference was made to pumpkin pie and the other sportscaster said, "No, we eat sweet potato pie." In both cases the sweet potato defenders were African American and probably had Southern roots.

Although I grew up on pumpkin pie (and bread-in-the-bird stuffing), I married in the South and a man who wanted Southern food. So I learned to make sweet potato pie and dressing, and I'm glad I did. In both cases the Southern alternatives are much better, and I'm here to tell you why. (I don't say this about all Southern food, though.)

First, sweet potato pie is healthier because one doesn't have to put as much sugar in it--it's naturally sweet, plus you're getting the good dose of vitamin A from the sweet potatoes. Second, it's easier to make (if totally from scratch, since pumpkin is difficult to cook), and third, it doesn't have nutmeg and nutmeg has its limitations. Finally, pumpkin pie isn't really pumpkin anyway--it's some species of squash, so you're getting the authentic vegetable.  And sorry, folks, sweet potato just tastes better. I admit this year I skipped the pie because I've been told to cut out all sugar due to somewhat elevated A1C levels, but still. . .

Now, about the stuffing. Why risk food poisoning with in-the-bird stuffing? It's disgusting to think about, and I've cooked it that way lots of times so I speak from experience--disgusting to put in and to take out. It's healthier and easier to make a pan of cornbread, pour together all the broth, celery, onions, eggs, sage, and celery soup and bake it in a dish. Or, really, just make StoveTop.

This from a woman who grew up eating scrapple. Scrapple is a breakfast meat dish that apparently only mid-Atlanticites and Virginians know about. We rarely had sausage or bacon growing up; my mother sliced and fried scrapple to eat with eggs. Not that scrapple is healthy; I don't even want to think about what might have been in it, but it is tasty and unique. I'm getting a red squiggly line under the word as I type it, which means this program doesn't even recognize it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?