The words of St. Clives

Was everything that came from the pen of C.S. Lewis true?

Now, I'm a huge fan of his. But I'm not a worshipper. And I've always been perplexed how evangelicals take his words as unassailable.

Case in point, this quote: "Pain insists upon being attended to. God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our conscience, but shouts in our pain: it is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world."

How is this true? Doesn't God also whisper to us in our pain? Perhaps I am misreading it: Pain seems to be like God is shouting to us, since pain is so hard to ignore, is perhaps what he is saying, not that God is actually shouting.

Does the megaphone work? No, not always.

Of course, it's a figurative analogy, so I can't line it up as purely logical. The question is, do we just take this and other quotes for granted because St. Clive said it, or because it's true?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?