Tidying up, Joy, and Mass Hysteria

Apparently a woman named Marie Kondo is getting her few minutes of fame because she's telling us on Netflix to throw away things that don't give you joy.

Nonsense.  I put a higher value on joy than utility.  A better standard is whether you can use something more than someone else who might need it, or if you are holding on to something that is not useful.  Her definition of joy is not a Biblical one.

I like this article:https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/jan/07/what-we-gain-from-keeping-books-and-why-it-doesnt-need-to-be-joy-marie-kondo

All my books give me joy, despite having not read half of them yet. As the writer points out, when we go into a person's house, we look at their bookshelf, not their sock drawer.

Our gullibility is sort of discouraging, isn't it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?