Rethinking Revelation

Here I am talking about the final book of the Bible.

The life group I co-lead wanted to study the book of Revelation for the next quarter. We usually use the LifeWay materials.  I looked into study books and decided the best bet was John MacArthur; you really can't go wrong doctrinally with him. I ordered the $10 study guides and also his commentaries.

I have to say I was not crazy about the idea. Revelation starts great, ends great, but has some really, uh, challenging material in the middle (I could have said weird stuff but that's not appropriate). Whether it was intellectual laziness or insecurity about how we would teach it, I was not looking forward to it, but I'm the last person to impose my will on others.

So. . . .

I was wrong.  MacArthur's commentary has changed my mind and heart. Oh my word!  Chapter 1 is a continuation of John's gospel, which I am studying in depth (and need a good Johanine theology book). Example: "They will look upon Him whom they have pierced." Think about that one for a while.

I still don't know how we'll deal with the visions and angels and bowls and disasters, but I could teach chapters 1-3 for quite a while.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?