The Wife: Good acting, but . . .

I have wanted to watch THE WIFE and finally did last night, on Amazon Prime (I had to pay for it).

Well, yes, the acting is good, but I thought the plot was just silly.

1.  The supposedly massively intelligent woman, smart enough to write books worthy of the Nobel Prize, believes the opinion of some woman writer in 1958 that women will never be taken seriously as writers. This is in the day of Harper Lee, Joan Didion, Sylvia Plath, Gloria Steinem, Betty Friedan, Toni Morrison, Maya Angelou.  Yeah, right.
2.  This woman's writing is good enough to win the Nobel Prize and she wants no one to know about it? She's either so afraid or so codependent with her husband that she's willing to not be recognized for that? 
3.  How could her writing be that good, that influential, without her having access to the wider literary world? 

It made me kind of mad, really. But it also made me mad because I thought of a similar plot years ago, where a famous writer's wife dies and he finds her journals and they contain beautiful short stories she never published or he knew about, and he has to decide whether to publish them as hers or his own.  I would have to create the stories, though, and short fiction is not my best thing. So Meg Wolitzer kind of stole my idea! (I'm kidding)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?