The Importance of Play

Loved this article, except, as always, the evolutionary biology stance. Why do these writers insist on everything human being some throwback to "when we were lower life forms"? Why can't humans just be humans?

However, play and discovery is necessary. I remember playing as a child more than being in school, and I liked school.  My brother and I did crazy things, unsupervised, with the other kids and learned by our mistakes, such as how there was only so high you could go off a ramp on a bicycle without injuring yourself. Today children are sheltered from all that. 

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the-play-deficit

I used to pooh-pooh the complaints about the constant testing from No Child Left Behind. I no longer do, because I see the results. My students today work hard, but they tend not to take risks or think outside the box (unless they have been in the arts). That's a generalization, and I like my students as people and I think we have a good time. (It's never appropriate to talk about one's students negatively on social media.) There is a better alternative to the constant testing:  rigor and higher standards, the arts, physical play, and getting away from all the political correctness. Today's education majors spend more time in being indoctrinated into wokeness than how to teach. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?