Broken--or Not

A colleague posted something on Facebook that seems to have an origin in Buddhism. It said "You are not broken."

It struck me that (1) this is an American interpretation of Buddhism (a post for another day) and (2) the Christian worldview is decidedly opposite the secular or pop culture worldview, where we are told we are not broken, we should follow our heart, and we should believe our own truth.

We are broken. To deny that is to deny the reality of the world around us and the reality of the heart within us. The question is why and what are we going to do about it.

I take some comfort in being broken. I'm not the only one, and I can't fix myself, try as I might, and I've tried.

Why are we broken? Because we choose sin and our own way. Just telling people that won't do--the revelation must come from outside because the help for the brokenness must come from outside.

What are we to do about it? Admit it, and find the solution in grace provided in the death and resurrection of Jesus. We exchange our brokenness for his perfection.

However, we have to get to the first step: acknowledging something is wrong. Until then, we live in pride and apathy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?