Autumn Sonata

Although most people today would find them hard to watch, I find the films of Ingmar Bergman fascinating.

One of his last, Autumn Sonata, was on the TCM streaming service and I watched it recently. Chilling. I believe it is also Ingrid Bergman's last movie, or almost.

Just watch it. It explores human emotions and relationships unflinchingly. I was caught by a moment where Ingrid Bergman's character is accused of doing exactly what Ingrid herself did in her heyday--abandoned her child and husband for another man.

Ingrid paid dearly for that act in terms of her career (and I have little sympathy for her), but as an older woman playing a narcisstic pianist who did the same thing as she did, it must have been hard. She always, as an actress, had the most expressive face, and her face in that scene betrays what she experienced because of running off with Rossellini. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?