Memoriam and Comic Books

Saddened to hear of the passing yesterday of Rachel Held Evans at 37. I have not read her work but have heard her cited and read reviews of her work. I have probably read articles by her in Christianity Today. She seems to have had an outsized influence on those who found themselves feeling marginalized by evangelicalism. That's a topic for another day; I understand why women would feel that way, and I certainly have myself. (That doesn't mean I'm ready to call a female for a pastor.) Mrs. Evans was far too young and I pray for her husband and parents.

Yesterday was the three-year anniversary of the passing of a colleague of 39, and a good friend died this week, so this is a mournful week for me.  I am not impressed with foolishness right now.

Now, quick transition: My son told me if I wanted to watch Avengers Endgame I should watch Infinity War on Netflix first. So Friday night, after a rough week, I did. It will be a while before I am psychologically ready to watch a three-hour version of the same. For someone like me, there is a lot of sitting through fights, explosions, death, and destruction before any meaningful story or character progression.  Plus, they are comic book characters. (This is not to say the movies are poorly done. Infinity War was quite interesting, just sensorily overwhelming.)

The frenetic movies did not help my frame of mind any, to say the least. And then, I'm studying the last chapters of Revelation to teach my life group class! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?