Star Wars Redux

For some reason my husband had the original Star Wars on TV while we ate lunch. (The TV runs almost constantly here but I rarely sit and watch for any length of time.) I watched about half an hour.

He noted how much the dialogue sounded like the dialogue in American Graffiti. At one point, when Han defends his spaceship, it sounds just like Paul LeMat defending his car.  I could have sworn the line was the same (I just saw some of AG recently). The dialogue is notoriously bad in SW. Alec Guinness famously complained about it but admitted it made him a fortune. I said, "I bet Mark Hamill didn't think he'd be playing the same part 40 years later." 

Yet, I will defend it because he created a world and a fresh vision of its inhabitants. He must have done something right to capture so many millions. I saw it in 1978 at a drive-in, and it was released in 1977--that tells you how popular it was that it was still playing a year later. (Whatever happened to drive-ins? They were great.)

The CGI inserts done twenty years later added nothing to the film and are very clumsy and obvious. The prequels made me cringe. Rogue One, not in the real story arc, was probably better than most of the real Star Wars movies. (It's actually my favorite, although I don't know why people whine and moan about the two more recent installments, The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi.) But I will see the next one within two weeks when it comes out.  Because.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?