My take on controversial decision

The world does not need my opinion on this ginned up controversy. But I'll do it anyway.

As much as I hate to say it, I come down on Harvard's side on this. Yes, they are elitist bullies in some ways. Yes, they are woke. Yes, they discriminate against Asians. Yes, this was a set up and someone who opposes his politics looked for evidence against him (which he should have known would come to light eventually) and made it available to hurt him. But. . . .

A college like that makes decisions on admitted students based on what they have done in their youth, in 17 or 18 years. And Kashuv, at 16, prior to being there on the day of the Parkland shootings, was clearly racist (and vile), to say the least, in his posts on social media. Sixteen is not ten or eleven. At sixteen he could drive. He's expected to start applying for colleges. He's supposed to have some judgment.

As my son wrote, let's not die on this hill. I'm surprised by those on the right defending him and asking for "forgiveness." While that is an area for discussion (that murder can be forgiven in the eyes of the leftist twitter mob but not expressing oneself in racist ways),  I think that's off the point. Harvard has taken away acceptances for racism other times (while being . That is their right--they are a private college and we have freedom of association in this country. My own public colleg has a committee that decides whether convicted felons can be admitted. Kashuv is not a convicted felon, of course. I just think a college has a right to say there are certain types of people and actions they will not welcome.

This is not a defense of Harvard and that whole elitist higher education establishment. They have lots of their own problems and are worthy of lots of criticism.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?