Shame and Guilt: Different, Related, and Deadly

Guilt is from violation of objective morality (God's law).

Shame is from perceived violation of societal norms.

Unfortunately, shame is stronger with some of us than guilt.

Case in point: Motherhood. Motherhood is shame from day one. Someone is always trying to make you feel "guilty" about something you are not doing or did not do as a mother. Why do people do this shame game to others? To make themselves feel superior. "I breastfed til the baby was 2 years old. I am more sacrificial. I am a better mother. I care more."

There is nothing in the Word of God about such things. But it is easier for us to make our own personal standards THE STANDARD rather than obey the law of love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?