Vanity Fair

Yesterday I finished this novel by Thackeray from the mid-1800s. It was a lot of fun to read. I had watched the Reese Witherspoon version and a recent miniseries on it. They were ok, but missed the real soul of the book. In order to make the viewer feel connected, they portray the characters too positively. Thackeray doesn't make that mistake. Nobody is exemplary. They have more flaws than good qualities, but they do have at least one good quality.

Becky is hilarious, wicked, fun, despicable, and understandable. Her rejection of her child is unforgivable, but maybe he didn't need to be around a mother like her, and she knew it. She at least gets Dobbin back with Amelia--her only truly good act. Does she kill Jos? What is the evidence? Would she be so evil? I don't think so. I think deluded Jos thinks it.

Amelia is so annoying that I vocally said, "Yes!" when Dobbin left her. I really did. I knew they would get back together, but she deserved the rejection, however momentary.

Much better than the filmed versions, which are usually more about showing off the actor's talents than revealing the literature. In the most recent miniseries, Becky isn't even blonde--which is very important in the book and often mentioned.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?