Wanting More from God

One of the modern calls in the religious world is "I want a deeper experience of God" or "I want more from my relationship with God."

I confess to not understanding this cry. It seems to lead people into charismatic teaching and mystical practices. Even some to Buddhist practices, such that they mix Christianity with Easternism.

Some of it, I suspect, comes from poor teaching in churches about Christian spirituality and lack of knowledge about the history of Christian spiritual practices.

Christianity has a balance of inner and outer. We do not worship what is within or from within. We only worship because of what God has done, and we have a responsibility to service and community. If we are focused on inward experience, we will be frustrated.

Buddha sat under a tree. Jesus walked around and healed and fed people.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?