Downton Abbey, The Movie

I broke down and went to this film yesterday, inviting a friend so (a) I could kill two birds with one stone, and (b) to have someone to talk to about it.

Let me just say that if there was ever a glorification or lauding of white privilege, this is it. Of course, it's white privilege over other whites. (added 10/21)

The movie is fan service, pure and simple. I don't know why anyone would watch it who hadn't watched most of the show for six years. Two actors (two of the favorites) give a long prologue at the beginning to catch people up, but it's too much too fast and furious for anyone without a background to absorb. On that level--of fan service--it does very well.

The best part is the visual--the clothes and the sweeping panoramas of the estate. I wondered throughout why we never saw those landscapes on the TV show--was it  technical limitations, or contractual agreement with the owner of Highclere Castle, which is shown in stupendous form here. 

Some small questions:
Did Mary have another child? there are four children in the scenes, but they aren't the right ages.
What year is this? They mention the general strikes, so it has to be after 1926.
Why does Matthew Goode only show up til the end? Contract dispute?
The timeline for Lady Bagshaw and the daughter doesn't work.
 Of course, we had to have the homosexual story arc, but it was pretty tasteful and not anachronistic.

Some big points.
The whole conceit of the movie, and Downton Abbey in general, is that the servants care as much as aristocrats do about the honor and legacy of Downton Abbey--in fact, more so. I find that hard to believe. We may be willing to accept that they are like free employees today who see it as a badge of honor to work at a large and prestigious university or company.  Maybe, but I'm not convinced. Anna tells Mary how important it is for her to keep up the estate. Why would Anna care, other than to keep a job which looks pretty menial to me. She has to carry Mary's nasty water around and dress both sisters like they are too stupid to know how to put on clothes (what's up with the whole dressing someone anyway? They aren't wearing corsets and hoop skirts.)

Why would the servants not just say, "Dog, we get a couple days off while the king's household are here, nice vacation (holiday)"? Why would they risk their jobs (which was likely to happen) by drugging the chef and locking up the butler? Seriously? What nonsense and froth. As hard as those people work, they would have enjoyed the day off. Sure, some of them got to serve the king (which really was huge), but they also got to sit back and relax. So maybe we're supposed to see that the one chance to be in the presence of George V was worth all the rest.

Second big point: The stakes are never that big on Downton Abbey. The assassination plot was the only one, but we knew that wouldn't happen--George V lived a while longer. We knew Bertie would not abandon Edith in childbirth. We knew the visit would go all right (it was only a two-week period).

Finally, this movie is for people obsessed with First World Problems. I don't fundamentally care about aristocracy and even less about rich people, so I'm not in love with these characters. Only Sybil, Matthew, Cora (the American), Tom, and Mrs. Hughes ever meant much to me.

To end positively, I did understand Carson coming back. It is extremely hard to step down from a place of authority and responsibility. One immediately feels so irrelevant, no matter how much the relaxation is worth it. I will face that eventually myself and think perhaps I should be easing myself into it so I can enjoy life!

Also (and I'm mocking the structure of the movie, which didn't seem to know when to end), I know there will be another in two or three years.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?