Looking back on 2019

At this time of year, the waning days of December, we are supposed to reprise the past 365 days and then set plans for the next calendar year.

My 2019 has been a mixed bag. The year has been a mixed bag in general, but I long ago realized a particular year is only a human construct; we could just as easy start it in July as now.

The fourth president to be impeached, or threatened seriously with it, was. I really wonder how many people see that impeachment, and Pelosi's shenanigans since, as affecting their lives in any way. It's the presidency as a reality TV show; this is the plot arc of the month. Trump is a shameful person, but he is duly elected and really, other than his mouth, hasn't done much wrong. However, the damage he has done with his mouth is stupendously bad.

I can say my career went well. I won two awards, one actually involving money. I got a "big check" that was as exciting as the money. I was nominated for a big state award but lost of course. I had my first chapter in a scholarly book published. I gave presentations. I published a novel.

My big trip was to Boston and Maine; it was quick and short, but I enjoyed the Red Sox totally demolishing the Yankees, seeing the ocean from Maine, taking a boat trip around Bar Harbor, touring the Museum of Fine Arts, and watching the descendants of the ducks in the wonderful park (near Cheers).

I grew as a person, read and learned, made new friends, and dealt with problems. 

On the negative side, I had hoped to get through my career without being involved in legal action; that happened in 2019, but the situation was resolved after a stressful seven plus months and I was somewhat vindicated. I lost my boss, twice, and got new ones.  The ones I lost are women and the ones I got are men. This will involve some challenges but positive outcomes in the long run.

However, one of the worst things that happened, and will happen, I can't write about so that I can protect the innocent, or guilty as it may be. Let's just say I will be renting an apartment near my office starting in January. I'm not happy about it but do see some benefits.

So, like all years, good and bad; the way it's ending I feel it has a pall over the date, but I also have hope. I remind myself that my own problems are minimal compared to the persecuted church and the massive number of refugees in the Middle East, Africa, Asia, and Europe. (Fewer here due to Trump's inhumane policies.) I am blessed and will continue to be.  Happy New Year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?