Movie Review: Knives Out

I saw this film the night before Thanksgiving. Obviously, I'm behind in my blogging!

As a fan and writer of mystery fiction, I found it enjoyable way to waste two hours at the local movie house, especially when some of my life was falling apart and I needed to be distracted. It takes a different spin on the genre and puts Daniel Craig in a different kind of role (he does a Southern accent, which he has done in other movies, but he gets it wrong--he's supposed to be from Kentucky but is doing a Louisiana, deep South dialect). At the same time it is the typical parlor room mystery moved to New England rather than Old England, in a wildly imaginative house.

In short, the hugely dysfunctional family of a hugely successful mystery writer gather for his 85th birthday. He is found dead the next morning, throat cut. So, how? Was it his worthless grandson, his hanger-on children and daughter-in-law, or his personal nurse, to whom he has decided (without telling anyone) to leave his fortune?

A lot of fun; strong language of course, and lots of people to dislike. Well directed and fast-paced. Not so much a twist ending as a reversal of fortune for the immigrant young nurse.

I don't know if you should spend $10 or more to see it, but if you are a fan of the genre, it should not be missed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?