The Overlooked Sermon Topic

It's the F-word no one wants to talk about, yet I believe it is the underlying and overwhelming problem of the church.

Fear.

Remember the stickers on cars that said "No Fear"? Apparently it was a "lifestyle clothing brand." I thought it was a rock group. Regardless, that is just a slogan. Fear is more the reality.

My verse for meditation is "God has not given us a spirit of fear . . . "  In context, 2 Timothy 1:3ff

I thank God, whom I serve with a pure conscience, as my forefathers did, as without ceasing I remember you in my prayers night and day, greatly desiring to see you, being mindful of your tears, that I may be filled with joy, when I call to remembrance the [b]genuine faith that is in you, which dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice, and I am persuaded is in you also. Therefore I remind you to stir up the gift of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands. For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.
Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me His prisoner, but share with me in the sufferings for the gospel according to the power of God, who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began.

A lot here to unpack. I will meditate on it for a few days on this blog. Notice that although Paul is admonishing Timothy personally, he says "God has not given us..."  Inclusive of the whole church. I would also say that "power, love and a sound mind" are congruent with the fruit of the Holy Spirit. And fear causes shame; therefore not being driven by fear leads to lack of shame. 

Just a few thoughts there. However, you might be asking, why do I assume this is an issue? Because today we just call fear by another name, anxiety. And anxiety is at an all-time high, for some reason. I confess to taking a mild anti-anxiety myself, related to driving more than anything. 

I'm not saying pastors should preach on fear every other week. I'm just suggesting that pastors recognize that fear is driving and imprisoning their congregations. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?