Snow and Aftermath

Yesterday in Northwest Georgia we had a perfect snow. Big, thick flakes falling heavily for four hours. At our house, a good four inches. Enough for kids to enjoy and make snowmen and for transplanted Yankees to sigh and wish for more, and for Southerners to revel in the white-covered world that wouldn't affect them much. A Saturday, so schools were not affected. By 5:00 pm, the sun and warmth had taken care of 99% of it. There might have been some accidents, but not inevitable ones.

However, the 1% that remained seemed to like my front steps, of which there are 13 from the porch to the sidewalk. I took for granted that at 33 degrees it wouldn't be slippery. How wrong. I slipped and fell on my back and began to slide down the steps in three waves.  Bump, bump, bump.  Bump, bump, bump, bump, bump.  Bump, bump, bump, bump. And I was running late for teaching my life group class. Sore, but nothing broken. I got up (I was at the bottom of the stairs by then), walked to my car, and drove off.

Now, 5.5 hours later, the fall is affecting my body. The headache from the brain bouncing is the worst, plus grapefruit bruises on the back of my ankles. I have a lot of padding. Tylenol is a sleep-inducer; I expect that will be my afternoon agenda.

I should be more upset than I am about falling. I fell last week; I fell a few weeks ago hiking with he dog; the dog knocked me down in the fall. In most cases it comes from lack of mindfulness. I can't take for granted that my feet will land where they should, and thus the rest of me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?