The Entitlement of Poverty

We know there is an entitlement of wealth and affluence. We see it all the time. But is it possible to have a sense of entitlement from being in poverty, a state I distinguish from "not having much money."

I think so. It is the entitlement of dependency, the entitlement of others who are better off owe me.

Harsh? Again, you can have little money and not have a mindset of poverty. Much has been written on this. I went through a period where I could not find good employment and we had very little money, living on about $20,000 a year (in the early '90s). But we had everything we needed, did without luxuries, and drove old cars. Not fun, but we didn't think we were owed something.

Not that I set myself as an example. I resent those who flaunt their wealth and are clueless about needs around them, so maybe there's an entitlement of having lived through hard times.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?