What are we giving up for Lent?

I've been a low-church Protestant during my Christian experience, so Lent has not been a large part of it until recently. Therefore, my reflections are not all that deep.

Lent is supposed to be about repentance and preparation for worship at Easter. As such, it is a necessary spiritual exercise. To many, it is also about a personal sacrifice; I grew up in a Catholic area (Maryland), so the concept of giving up chocolate or cigarettes or alcohol for Lent was the default.

Perhaps I am too lazy to give up certain foods or bodily practices, but I prefer to focus on "giving up"
*my anger
*my apathy
*my addiction to self concern and self reliance
*my active mouth

We could probably do an "alphabet" of these....

May our everyday until the celebration of the resurrection be a step toward dependence on God and awareness of the needs of our neighbors, neighbors being defined not be geography but humanity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?