Lent Reflection #11: Fasting

Typically, traditionally, Lent is a time of fasting, from something.

Our pastor preached on fasting this morning. I have to say it is one of very few sermons I have ever heard on the subject. Baptists like to eat, myself included. We tend to be heavy.

Irrelevant story sidetrack: Three weeks ago I visited another church to see friends who are missionaries to Japan. We took group pictures: the missionaries, in the middle, slender like those of their host country, surrounded by some, well, not so slender middle-aged women. Yikes. I was at least wearing black! That day I started a fast from sugar and it has gone well; the cravings are gone. I recognize that food is a comfort to me, a type of security. I have inklings of why, but no matter. That's not an entirely healthy way to think about food.

Back to point: Fasting doesn't have to be from food; it is giving up something good to pursue intimacy with Christ. In the days of the Bible, there was less "good" to give up; plus, Lent on the calendar occurs at a time when the winter stores of food are diminishing in Northern countries, so it makes sense that a fast accompanies Lent.

The Bible speaks a lot about fasting; we tend to ignore the practice the main thing Jesus says it keep it secret when we do it (not if we do it--it's assumed). I find it ironic that in this day of plenty, compared to those times of subsistence and want, we find it harder to give up food for a day to pursue God. My fingers are pointed at me


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?