Lent Reflection #22: Fear

Coronavirus has distracted us from Lent or more truthfully, from our journey towards the Black Day and the Glorious Day.

Perhaps now that a week of extreme isolation has passed, we can get our bearings and realize how the media (mostly social media) and our own propensities have enslaved us in fear.

Admonitions not to fear are as rampant in the Bible as this virus is. Do not fear. Fear puts us in a state that is the opposite of a sound mind. It makes us start thinking every headache is the start of a hospital stay. It makes us irrationally buy more toilet paper than we will need for two years (not me; I'm still trying to figure the toilet paper thing out). It made me make sure I had a lot of cash on hand.

Fear makes us think our needs are greater than they are. 

I've learned the government is going to send me some money. I really wish they wouldn't. All of us who have good jobs don't need an extra $1,000 right now, especially in an effort that will add to financial deficits. I suggest we save it or give it to a neighbor who works in the food or hospitality industry who is laid off.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?