Lent Reflection #26: Joy in Solitude

Yesterday I had two online meetings. I went to my office for two hours and didn't see a living soul on campus. I'm staying with my husband, rather than my apartment, in case one of us gets sick or I need to help someone at church. This is wearisome.

So what could give us joy in this time? I could say something like the rate of the increase of deaths in the US seems to be slowing. The Death-o-meter says 19 died yesterday. But those are 19 grieving families.

I could say it's not raining here today and my phone predicts little sun icons this afternoon.

I could say we have technology now to continue work and education in many sectors, almost as effectively as normal (that's a big almost).

I could say no one I know has the virus, and I know a lot of people. It seems not to have taken much of a hold in my region.

And all these things I could say would be true except they have nothing to do with joy. Hebrews 12:

Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Selah 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?