Lent Reflection #5: And v. but

Actors trained in improv are taught not to use "but" when responding to a partner, but to use "and."

"And" is additive; it allows for possibilities and building on what was said. "But" becomes immediately contradictory. Something that was said was incorrect, not enough, faulty.

I notice how much I use "but" in my writing, or somehow tried to hide it with "nevertheless," "however," "although," or "yet." I wonder why I'm so agonistic, so conflicting.

Yet (there we go!) "But" in the New Testament holds a wonderful place. As in Ephesians 2:

But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.

That said, I would like to have an "and" life rather than a "but" life. I'd like to build rather than debate. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?