Lent Reflection #8:

For this week I am scheduled to teach on John the Forerunner (to get away from calling him a Baptist or that revision, Baptizer).

This is more challenging the LifeWay literature would have us think. Who exactly was this fellow, and what was the point of his existence and ministry?

I remind myself that not all of the Bible was written directly for me, an almost senior citizen in 2020 living in the technologized Gentile United States. I use the analogy we are flies on the wall hearing one side of a telephone conversation, sometimes, when it comes to totally entering into the message of the Bible.

John was the first real prophet in over 400 years. He is a towering character as the proclaimer of the coming Messiah. Jesus had some strong things to say about him, and he himself put himself in perspective: He must increase, and I must decrease.

That is a good sentence to reflect on during this eighth day of a Lenten journey.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?