COVID, July 12, 2020

The old saying, "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride" seems to apply today.

Our discourse about COVID seems less about medical and scientific facts than about what we wish COVID were or were not and what we wish COVID would do or not do and what we think the government should do or not do about COVID. We talk more about what we think about COVID than about what COVID is.

Indeed, I doubt most people understand why it is so bad and what it does to cells that makes it more serious than the seasonal flu, but not as bad as some other coronaviruses.

As I've written before, I doubt we will ever get solid statistical data. For one thing, people take multiple tests. If a person takes three tests and on the third comes up positive, those three tests (and two negatives) do not represent discreet persons. There are reports of false positive and false negatives. People who die from COVID are mixed with those who die from COVID. Political entities are too invested in the numbers and science.

That said, I am perplexed by both sides. Wear the blasted mask, people. It's not about you. I don't like it, but it's a small thing. Even if I have my doubts about "the truth," I don't see how keeping my distance and wearing a mask is going to hurt; if it helps lower the cases by 10%, it's worth it.

Equally, I am perplexed by people who haven't left their houses in months. Especially if those persons claim to be Christian believers. God has not given us a spirit of fear. We don't have to live under a reign of terror. Call me foolish, but I go to church, the market, my office, and walking regularly. I visit friends. I'd go to a movie if they'd let me.

I think too many of us are using the word "unprecedented" to mean "worst ever." The human race, even in the last 100 years, has been through worse, many times. It is only because our lives have become so comfortable and affluent and secure that we have lost our memories. Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it. I say those who forget history are doomed to thinking they live in the worst possible times when they don't.

Still, we're not having fun.

Is this a conspiracy? Plenty of people think so, but are afraid to say it.  I have my suspicions, but if I had a family member who died of it, I would feel differently. When something doesn't affect us personally and directly, it's easy to see conspiracies. I am concerned about the long-term psychological damage.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?