Double-mindedness, Part 2

 Evangelicalism has some problems nowadays. A recent Twitter thread (yes, I know Twitter is a toxic waste dump) shows some disturbing pictures from Hobby Lobby that show we have a brand problem. Not that I consider Hobby Lobby my representative. I've only gone into one a handful of times. Once was to find Advent candles and the associate didn't have a clue what I was asking for. (Concerning.) But I do like their museum in DC.

Do we rehabilitate the brand or discard it and start to live right, politically-neutral, focused on service to God's Kingdsom?

Anyway, this is an example of our Double-mindedness as a group. For every MAGA hat wearer, there are dozens of gentle servants of God doing humble work. They get no press or Twitter threads, of course. 

However, double-mindedness mostly shows within ourselves, the Jonah-Peter-Elijah kind. We have a great victory and then fall into the dumps (or water, in Peter's case). We trust God and then despair. Some have more trouble with this than others, based on their personalities, but it happens to all of us to some extent, even the most even-keeled. 

My first advice: Be aware it happens. Don't be surprised by it, because it may lead you to think worse of yourself, of the Christian experience, and of God than you should or have to. It happens. We are double-minded; it doesn't mean the Bible isn't true or that God is unfaithful or that we are not really believers. 

My second advice: Be real about it. Whether you journal or confess to a close friend, just be honest about it. It's ok. 

My third advice: Run to the Lord. That's the only place to get back to single-mindedness. Don't feel like you have to do a ten-week Bible study and get all intellectual (my response). Just run to Jesus and let Him love you. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?