Post 27 of Study: Hebrews 4:1-10

Moving into Chapter 4, we encounter the second warning passage, and have to see that or the flow of thought will be confusing. After referring to the Israelites' many instances of unbelief leading to disobedience leading to some kind of judgment, the writers ends: So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief. Entering the promised land is a metaphor for something in the Christian experience, either a realization of rest from “dead works” and dependence on law keeping, or a stage in spiritual maturity, or heaven. I tend to see it as the first.

I cannot help but think of Matthew 11, the end, which we should recognize as following judgment calls on several cities that rejected Him. I’m using the Old King James here, for a change. 

25 At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes. 26 Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in thy sight. 27 All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him. 28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

What is rest? I think for this audience it is to end their holding on to Jewish law-keeping traditions and moving toward full dependence on Christ alone. (v. 10) “For he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from His.” For us, it is to stop letting society, profession, and culture control our lives and rest from those expectations controlling us and find rest in Christ’s love and acceptance. Do we then become losers, not really excelling in our lives. No. But we may not get all the same accolades we were looking for.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?