Observation about ART

 I got attracted to an Amazon Prime show from a few years back, Z The Beginning of Everything. An overblown name. It's about Zelda and Scott Fitzgerald. 

Well, let me say it's pretty well done and I did get hooked, but I need to pull that plug. I've watch 8 of 10 episodes and have come to dislike the protagonists more and more. 

Apparently Scott Fitzgerald thought that because he wrote a popular book he could rule the world. He's portrayed as a pompous ass and she a spoiled brat. Nobody could drink as much as they do in this show (although clearly they were alcoholics). How they lived off of people is amazing. They were self- and other destructive. 

Of course, this is a dramatic program taking license. If it's 1/2 true, that's bad enough. 

They are an example of what I call the Woody Allen myth: Artists are a different level of humanity and therefore not obliged to live under any rules of polite society (read: civilization). We can forgive them all kinds of licentiousness and selfishness because they create. 

Yeah, right.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?