Post 67 of Study: Hebrews 12:5-11

Verse 5 seems to change the subject abruptly to discipline from God the Father (the Father of spirits, an interesting title to ponder, John 4:24 in mind—another reason that John could have written this book). The writer equates the types of persecution they might undergo as ultimately from God for their spiritual growth. This is, admittedly, confusing to me. Chastisement or discipline is for those who have gone off the path, sinned, strayed, and need brought back on it—at least that is my understanding.

This discipline experienced through persecution may not be as response to sin, but a method of training irrespective of personal wrongdoing. I have read in the book The Insanity of God (fascinating, by the way, a must read) that the Chinese pastors consider prison their seminary, and that one is not really ready to lead a church until they’ve been through this “degree program.”

Confusing as this is, since “chastisement” and “discipline” seem to us to be the same as “punishment,” it is really a reminder of God’s love, not His wrath or, in some thinking, petulance.

Remember, “there is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus.” (Romans 8:1) It is very unhealthy, I think, and more, dishonoring to God, to see “bad” events in our lives as God’s punishment for something we may have done and then to go looking for what it might have been.

We don’t live under karma, although many Christians think we do: “what you sow you will reap” is interpreted as how God deals with us rather than as a general life principle. God is not exacting revenge for every error we make, every human failing, every sinful choice. The better question is “what is God showing me, what does God want me to learn” rather than “what did I do to deserve this?” I prefer the approach, “God loves me enough to send His Son to die for me; why should I see this event in my life as a punishment when He’s done that?

See Romans 8:32-33 in this regard, which also precedes a section on persecution: “What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?” 

In short: expect discipline from God because you are one of His and for Him not to discipline would be like disowning you. I need that today because I’m going through a personal struggle and have blamed myself for it in a deeply hurtful and crippling fashion. God is not telling me I’m to blame for the situation; He is telling me there is something to learn to make me more holy, and I believe it is compassion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?