Post 76 of Study: Hebrews 13:2-3

Happy Christmas. I'll put that greeting here rather than Facebook, and to double up on posts. I've been posting about Advent, but Advent means coming, and Christmas is here. Even White in our area, very pretty and cold. I brought the dog to my apartment last night and she is happy sleeping by my side.

Hebrews 13:2-3: As the old saying goes, now the writer has gone from preaching to meddling. So I will, too, with my finger pointed backwards.

Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it. Continue to remember those in prison as if you were together with them in prison, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering.

 I’d say we probably get a C- or D on this one. I know I do for the hospitality to strangers. I rarely show hospitality to friends. I don’t think the message is “Hey, you might get an angel visitation if you let a stranger into your house.” I think it is “You never know who you are helping when you show hospitality to strangers.” 

My Muslim friends have taught me about hospitality. It is such a strong value in their cultures that they put us to shame. I can’t say, “When COVID is over…..” That’s the all-purpose excuse we’ve defaulted to. And then we do what we want.  2021 is a good time to open our homes and renew community.

Here’s a place to put in a plug for Prison Fellowship. I don’t plug ministries and nonprofits I don’t support, so here are some others: Habitat for Humanity, Salvation Army (take that, Chick-Fil-A!), Ponderosa Student Ministries, Doctors Without Borders, Moody Radio, H3 Ministries in Chattanooga. There are many other good ones, yes, I know.  Prison Fellowship deserves your support as a group meeting the command of Hebrews 13:3, and mentoring the children of prisoners. 

One might argue that these are prisoners based on persecution for their faith. Yes, I agree. In that case, support Voice of the Martyrs and get informed about the global persecuted church. A place to start is Nigeria, a country most think of as where scam emails originate.  Then keep moving to North Korea, China, India,….. the list is long.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?