Post 78 of Study: Hebrews 13:5-6

 Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said,

“Never will I leave you;
    never will I forsake you.”[
a]

So we say with confidence,

“The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid.
    What can mere mortals do to me?”

No great analysis today (as if there were some previously). This is what I need.

“What can mere mortals do to me?” Well, a lot, but not eternally. Our lives are short anyway; all they can do is shorten our lives. We will not be forsaken, not left, not bereft, not desolate. I will not be afraid. I need that today. Someone and something stalks me. We are not to live in a spirit of fear.

I also need contentment with what I have. I don’t want more things; those are a bottomless pit. I want more life, more experience, more travel, more work, more writing, more accomplishments, more freedom, more relationships, and probably, more recognition. All of those are bottomless pits and in many ways a poor (ineffectual) substitute for contentment in being Christ’s child.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?