To Dr. or not to Dr.

Big stink over nothing. I have a doctorate. Outside of work, I don't want to be called "Dr." One, I'm not a medical doctor. Two, why would I do that? Three, I don't need the validation of my humanity or worth. 

However, the conservatives who are getting all huffy about the liberals being huffy about it need to lay off.

Yes, it is silly that Joe Biden's wife goes around saying "Dr. and President-Elect Joe Biden." She seems to be a bit too concerned about it. 

However, doctoral work is not that easy, if done at a reputable institution. Not everyone can do it; over half drop out. According to the Census Bureau in 2019, "The number of doctoral degree holders has more than doubled to 4.5 million." That's less than 1.4%.

What I'm not sure of is whether this dis (by an old man who had an opinion that I'm not sure why the WSJ felt needed to be published in the first place?) is against women or people who use their academic titles to prove something. His tone probably was dismissive of a woman. Women are getting more of the doctorates in most fields nowadays. 

I think some people may protest too much. Still, I have been known to use my title when I knew it would help!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?