Just in Case, #2

So we have a new president. Not a fan, but also glad Trump is gone. (I can't think of any politician who ran for president longer than Joe Biden; he was doing it in the '80s.) The only problem is that the last three weeks or so have brought "truth" to light about some people, usually on social media, and it's a little like when you turn the lights on in the basement and little creatures swarm. 

On one side, people are saying Trump was the worst president ever. No, he wasn't, and I'm not sure how one would decide that. It's not like we haven't had 44 of them before him.  I would probably say he was one of the worst human beings to be in the White House, just because he was so mean and vindictive. But again, there have been a lot of bad human beings in that position.

And I'm not going to deny he did things I liked, things any Republican president would have done, although I don't know why we call him a conservative or a Republican just because he took that label. He did not follow the historic principles of those groups. He had few principles anyway, from what I can see.  

But that's not really the point. Back to social media. It is clear to me that some people I know are posting things that say either "You agree with me on this or get out of my life" or, worse, "I am putting my view of Trump above our unity in Christ above our ability to worship together and fellowship together because your opinion is so wrong in my eyes that I make it a matter of faith." In other  words, they are creating disunity because Trump comes first.  

It's tempting to be that way, but there's one problem: It's out of the pit. Just go to Bible Gateway or get a concordance and search the word "unity." Unity is not uniformity. We can have different opinions, but none of those opinions are allowed to get in the way of spiritual unity. 

This threatens to defeat the church and destroy our testimony. If Trump is more important than your relationship with your sister or brother in Christ, you have a problem, not God. He is sovereign and has chosen to put someone else in government (although a lot of that is due to human action, like the Republicans in Georgia not voting on Jan. 5, don't get me started).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?