Minor Prophets, #1

A return to more regular posts, perhaps. After Hebrews I began to study the portion of the Bible I know the least, perhaps, the "Minor Prophets" (an unfortunate name!). I will share, but not in a regular format. Today in Micah, toward the end:

7:18-19 Who is a God like you, pardoning iniquity
    and passing over transgression
    for the remnant of his inheritance?
He does not retain his anger forever,
    because he delights in steadfast love. (mercy, steadfast love)
19 He will again have compassion on us;
    he will tread our iniquities underfoot.
You will cast all our[f] sins
    into the depths of the sea.

We all need this, every day, or similar passages that assure us we are forgiven. We cannot live otherwise; Luther said the Christian life was about daily repentance. I "messed up" yesterday, in my way; I need recalibration, but this verse is not about me, or us. It is about "Who is a God like You?"

The prophets have a balance, or at least seem to, between "don't sin in the first place" and "there is forgiveness." That is where we all live. I'm meditating on that....God doesn't want sacrifices, He wants His people not to need a sacrifice (in the Old Testament). Now we have the sacrifice, it is already taken care of, forgiveness and grace are freely given, but . . . it would be better to make nonsinful choices. But perhaps the New Testament is more clear sighted about who we are in this regard. We will sin, we will forget, we will seek for meaning outside of Christ and that will get us in "trouble" and we will have to go to Jesus to return to the right path. 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?