Probably the most saddening fall I've read about

 https://frenchpress.thedispatch.com/p/you-are-one-step-away-from-complete

 I'm a fan of David French, although that's a bit ironic considering the topic of this post. I have heard and seen the fall of many Christian leaders due to sexual sin but I'm not sure one has hurt me the same way as that of Ravi Zacharias. I read his books and listened to his podcast. My son tried to get a job with RZIM because it had meant so much to his faith development. My husband was blessed by his YouTube videos. 

 David French's editorial here is in line with the Christianity Today reports and probably echoes what millions of us are thinking right now. We believed him during the Thompson "scandal." We thought, "How awful that Christian leaders are open to such attacks." But it wasn't a scam from the Thompsons. It was a scam from Zacharias. I was a little more perplexed by the "Dr." when he didn't really earn one.*

I'm sure his written work and sermons will be scrutinized for signs of what was really going on all those years. I wonder, too. He was a storyteller and apologist who made sense to seekers; he didn't really exposit the Word, so I wonder if that meant something. I always had trouble with following his train of thought, and I chalked that up to his Eastern culture. Perhaps we all made excuses for him, as we do for everyone we love.  

In the end, many people are scarred by this revelation. I am deeply depressed and wonder if there is anyone who can be trusted any more.  A bit dramatic, but I think understandable. 

*A note on this, at the risk of sounding like a snob. Academic "doctors" really shouldn't use it outside of the academy.  I really believe this, and never do myself. It's just pretentious. I used to overlook those who wore their honorary doctorates and who even expected the title to be used--until I got one myself and went through three years of sacrifice--some go much longer--earning it. It means something in our careers, but it's not for public consumption. I am grateful for the opportunity to earn one and the doors it opens, but I often have to remind myself I have one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?