Georgia Voting Law Changes--What the problem?

 I'm seeing on Twitter (why I go to that cesspool of uninformed dramatic outrage I don't know) that Delta is trending because it made an official statement that it supports the Georgia Election Bill passed this week. Leftist Twitter is freaking out that they will never drink a Coke or fly on Delta again. I doubt many of those people even fly. 

That is their right, of course. But I decided to get some information on this "racist" bill. I got it from Public Broadcasting, which I feel is a safe source. 

https://www.gpb.org/news/2021/03/27/what-does-georgias-new-voting-law-sb-202-do

Note: "One of the biggest changes in the bill would expand early voting access for most counties, adding an additional mandatory Saturday and formally codifying Sunday voting hours as optional. Counties can have early voting open as long as 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., or 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at minimum. If you live in a larger metropolitan county, you might not notice a change. For most other counties, you will have an extra weekend day, and your weekday early voting hours will likely be longer."

I'm not sure what the big deal is. Until a few years ago, we had no early voting; now we have codified Sunday and Saturday voting. That should be a big deal.  There are some tightened restrictions on mail-in ballots and voter ID. Sorry, not sorry: I can't do anything of importance without showing my ID, so I'm not sure what the problem with voting is. In 2021, anyone who is not smart enough to have a voter ID and follow the rules (4 weeks of early voting?)

I really, really, really think this people slamming Delta and the bill 1. haven't read it and 2. just want to join the mob of people they identify with and feel accepted by them. 

This is probably the most political thing I've ever posted. Now, is it perfect? No. Did the Republicans try to cut some people out of the process? It's highly possible; I'm not impressed with them. But this is hardly Jim Crow South. The ignorance of the outrage is mind-boggling.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?