Great Writing

 I’m reading Shirley Jackson's We Always Lived in the Castle. So subtly chilling. This paragraph strikes me as the soul of the book
I found a nest of baby snakes near the creek and killed them all; I dislike snakes and Constance had never asked me not to. I was on my way back to the house when I found a very bad omen, one of the worst. My book nailed to a tree in the pine woods had fallen down. I decided that the nail had rusted away and the book -- it was a little notebook of our father's, where he used to record the names of people who owed him money, and people who ought, he thought,to do favors for him -- was useless now as protection. I had wrapped it very thoroughly in heavy paper before nailing itto the tree, but the nail had rusted and it had fallen. I thought I had better destroy it, in case it was now actively bad, and bring something else out to the tree, perhaps a scarf of our mother's, or a glove. It was really too late, although I did not know it then; he was already on his way to the house. By the time I found the book he had probably already left his suitcase in the post office and was asking directions. All Jonas and I knew then was that we were hungry, and we ran together back to the house, and came with the breeze into the kitchen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?