Since I blog, I have to write something about Beth Moore, don't I?

 I really don't. I really should just keep my opinions to myself. But I teach the Bible, I attend a Southern Baptist Church, and I've read her books and watched a few of her studies. 

First, she has every right to leave the convention and I can't say I blame her. I don't know what her real reasons are. One might think she could stay and fight the evils she sees (and that are there, I'm not mocking), but that's easy for someone else. 

Second, will she take a bunch of women with her? Not if their churches are doing what they should in discipleship, mission, care, and fellowship. I think most are, so I don't see a mass exodus. I don't know of any women who would leave their church just because she's going to be Presbyterian or nondenominational.

Third, I do admire her for speaking truth to powerful people about Trump and sexual abuse. White evangelicals need to "come to Jesus" about Trump, but that's another subject.

Fourth, she is a charismatic speaker. I don't think she's a deep theologian, though, and I do think she's been susceptible to (I won't use the words "guilty of") to using emotionalism, isogesis of the text, silliness in her examples, a "me-centered" hermeneutic, and too many personal references. I believe she studies but would be more comfortable with a less dramatic speaker who actually has a seminary degree. 

Fifth, should the Southern Baptists change on "women preachers"? That's another topic for another day. She has been deferential to the men in the denomination. She could join the Cooperative Baptists, who ordain women. I would personally rather have a theologically educated 50-year-old, thoughtful and godly woman pastoring than a 25-year-old green man with little life experience. There, I said it. 

Still, I'm not a huge Beth fan. She needs to embrace her age; her photos look like she's trying hard to look 39 when I'm pretty sure she's well past that (uh, as in two years shy of Medicare).  She hasn't suffered financially from this ministry, from reports. Even more, this cult of personality is not a far cry from the same towards Trump, who is one of the causes of her disaffection. Women flock to hear her and have their ears tickled in some cases. It's all rather disconcerting. 

One of the speakers I listened to last night is a young woman serving with her husband in a South Asian country to bring the Muslims to faith. Why should I care, give two minutes of worry, about Beth Moore when there are thousands of women like this who deserve our respect and prayer and support? Because Beth is a celebrity. God help us. 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?