Mare of Easttown

 I confess. I binge watched this over two nights, something I never do. I got totally caught up in it due to the story and acting. 

I can't say I recommend it, though. It's unrelentingly dark. Really dark. And the language (cursing) is pretty bad, and I imagine some of my readers would not like that. There is no God in this story, even though there are priests. Well, God and Jesus get mentioned a lot as cuss words. 

And there a couple of plot holes, or maybe, things that kind of get dropped, perhaps because they weren't seen as central to the story arc. And as critics have pointed out, the men are almost all turds: either abusers, rapists, childish, ineffectual, or murderers. There are a couple of exceptions, maybe. But the women aren't a whole lot better even though they drive the plot.

But it was very compelling, if one can watch it with all the caveats in mind. Excellent writing and sense of place very strong.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?