To Mega or Not to Mega

I recommend the current Christianity Today podcast on the Rise and Fall of Mars Hill Church in Seattle under Mark Driscoll. It is the tale of a tragedy and of the sins of the present-day American church.

Megachurches are common today. We have more than a few in Chattanooga. I do not attend one, although some would disagree with me. It’s definitely larger than most. The podcast explains this movement since the 1970s, especially as it is tied to suburbia. That part is demographic and historical. The beginning of Mars Hill Church and then its ensuing problems begins in the third episode, and it is painful to hear. I feel like a rubbernecker on the highway as I listen.

Is such a devastating fall avoidable? Yes, but those of us who are older must invest in the younger in a real, authentic, and caring way so that they do not fall prey to power, fame, and control.

The edginess Mark Driscoll displayed should have been seen for what it was. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kallman's Syndrome: The Secret Best Kept

Do I Really Have to See the Barbie Movie?